One of Victoria’s most stunning drives, the Great Ocean Road is a magnificent three-day route from Melbourne to the iconic 12 Apostles, ending at historic fishing village Port Fairy.
Starting from Melbourne, it’s an easy drive taking you along cliff tops and surf beaches and through lush rainforest. Along the way, spot koalas, kangaroos and even whales, zip-line your way through a treetop canopy, climb to the peak of a volcanic crater, and relax over regional dining atop a cliff or by the beach.
Traveling with small children? Check out this list of the best light-weight convertible car seat.
Day 1: Melbourne to Apollo Bay
Total Day of Driving – 187km | 3 Hours
There are many stops along the way on the first drive of the day, and we don’t recommend you stop at them all, but make sure you visit a few.
Torquay marks the official beginning of the Great Ocean Road. Rest on the sand on the beach, or enjoy the surf culture at Surfworld.
Anglesea Golf Club
Stop at the Anglesea Golf Club, and experience a kangaroo tour, and watch the gorgeous kangaroos lounge under the trees and on the surrounding greens.
End of day 1
Of course, you’re going to need somewhere to stay tonight, so these are our top recommendations.
Apollo Bay Waterfront Motor Inn
Just opposite the, Waterfront Motor Inn offers a variety of accommodation in a garden setting. Guests enjoy and some offer .
Located on the, Apollo Bay Waterfront Motor Inn is a 15-minute drive from Great Otway National Park. The famous Twelve Apostles are a 1-hour drive away. Local , cafes and and the visitor information centre are within .
Book your stay here
Seafarers Getaway ison 20 acres of rolling hills with direct access to the . Refurbished in 2014, the resort offers of the and is close to the attractions of .
Choose between the 20 self-contained lodges and units, all which have. Each unit has a living area with kitchen plus a deck. There is also access to the resort’s barbeque facilities.
Book your stay here
Day 2: Apollo Bay to Port Fairy
Total Day of Driving – 189km | 3 hours
This is your second day of driving, and is roughly 3 hours. At the end of the day you will have completed the journey from Melbourne to Port Fairy, and you have completed the Great Ocean Road trip. Here is our pick of things to do along the drive to Port Fairy.
The 12 Apostles are one of the most famous stops on the Great Ocean Road driving tour, and we don’t recommend you do this drive without stopping to see them.
Take a walking track in Port Fairy
There are heaps of walking tracks from and around Port Fairy, but here are our top choices.
Located across the bridge from Port Fairy’s picturesque harbour, Battery Hill is worthy of exploration, with cannons and fortifications positioned here in 1887 to protect the town from the then perceived threat of Russian warships.
Great views of Port Fairy Bay from the top of Battery Hill can be enjoyed!
Walk along the beach
The notion of the romantic walk along the beach has been taken to the extreme around Port Fairy, with several trails taking in kilometres, upon kilometres of beach and lake side tracks. Take in the view of the lighthouse whilst enjoying the coastal fresh air. This isn’t something you want to miss out.
End of day 2
Of course, now you need somewhere to stay in Port Fairy, so these are our top picks
Seacombe House Motor Inn Port Fairy
This unique property is spread across 3 buildings, and provides a variety of, including cottages and private rooms. was built in 1847, and offers rooms with private or shared bathroom . The 4-star Seacombe House Motor Inn Port Fairy offers spacious rooms with a flat-screen TV and cable channels. Some of the cottages feature an open log fire and a hot tub.
Seacombe House Motor Inn Port Fairy is 5 minutes from the historic Port Fairy Wharf and 10 minutes from the area’s beaches. You will find local shops, boutiques, cafes and restaurants on your doorstep.
Book your stay here
Pelican Waters Holiday Park
Set in Port Fairy, Pelican Waters Holiday Park provides accommodation with free WiFi, a seating area, a flat-screen TV and a kitchen. Free private parking is also available on site.
A balcony with river views is offered in all rooms. The units feature rural and garden views.
The holiday park offers a barbecue. Hiking can also be enjoyed nearby.
Book your stay here
Day 3: Chose your own trip
Today you can chose your own adventure, you could either return to Melbourne, which is about a 6 hour drive, or you can chose one of our other options below:
- Trace your trip back along the Great Ocean Road, stopping to spend more time at your favourite spots and photo opps.
- Extend your roadtrip by a couple of days and take the Great Southern Touring Route north to Dunkeld and Halls Gap to visit the magnificent Grampians mountain range and the historic goldfields on your way back to Melbourne.
- Go on a culinary crusade via craft breweries and top regional restaurants on the short inland route back to the best kid friendly restaurants in Melbourne via Colac (below).
Great Ocean Road driving trip
There you have it. You can now say you’ve completed the Great Ocean Road driving trip, and seen the 12 Apostles, along with all the other wonderful stops you made on the way. If you think we missed anything, let us know, and we’ll definitely add it to our article.
Looking for more things to do in Melbourne with kids?
- School holiday activities Melbourne
- Water parks in Melbourne
- Trampoline parks in Melbourne
- Strawberry picking Melbourne options
- Dog friendly beaches and swimming holes in Melbourne
- Camping ideas for Melbourne families
- Camping with dogs around Melbourne
- Things to do in Melbourne with teenagers
- Rainy day activities in Melbourne
- How to get discount Werribee Zoo
- How to get discount Melbourne Zoo tickets
- Day trips from Melbourne with kids
- Best high tea options for kids in Melbourne
- Places where kids eat for FREE in Melbourne
- Best seafood buffets Melbourne
- Best buffets in Melbourne
- Vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne
- Best sushi in Melbourne for kids
- Gluten free restaurants in Melbourne for kids
- Australia Day restaurant options