The most detailed list of the BEST places to start your Christmas lights search to make sure you see all the BEST Christmas lights Melbourne has to offer in 2023.
If you are celebrating Christmas in Melbourne, VIC, you’ll love our list of Christmas lights in Melbourne. We’ve made a list and we’ve checked it twice, so you can be sure that this article will give you the detailed information. We also have up to date photos of the best Christmas lights Melbourne has in 2023.
Where to start your Christmas lights search in Melbourne 2023
Xmas lights looking in Melbourne is a rite of passage for children who love Christmas in Australia; from The Myer Windows in the CBD, to Christmas Projections in Melbourne City, to Preston, Ferntree Gully and Belmont. We’ve got you covered no matter where your Christmas lights search in Melbourne may take you!
Best Christmas lights Melbourne 2023
Melbourne – North, East, West, South….. our first stop for the Christmas this year will always have to be in Melbourne CBD!
Christmas lights Melbourne City
If you just Googled ‘Best Xmas lights Melbourne’ or ‘best Christmas lights Melbourne 2023’ this is the article for you. Across Melbourne City Christmas lights are bedazzling a number of popular locations to add a sparkle to the streets, shopping centres and other venues to help bring a smile to our faces across the festive season.
State Library Victoria 2023
Embark on a mesmerizing experience at the State Library on Swanston Street. Witness the stunning projections that gracefully take over, illuminating the library’s iconic facade.
This dazzling display showcases a spectrum of colourful themes, capturing the essence of everything we love about the holiday season in Australia. It’s a visual feast that adds a touch of magic to the heart of the city, creating a festive atmosphere for all to enjoy. Head to the State Library and be enchanted by this captivating celebration of the holidays.
Melbourne Town Hall Christmas Projections 2023
Experience the much-anticipated Christmas makeover at Melbourne Town Hall, a cherished tradition that adds a touch of holiday magic to the city. Marvel at six stunning and colourful treatments that illuminate the iconic facade of the building. During the day, enjoy the festive sight of nutcracker soldiers, the iconic town hall bow, and native floral wreaths.
As night falls, the iconic building transforms into a mesmerizing display, aglow with nightly projections in dazzling festive colours. The Melbourne Town Hall becomes a beacon of holiday cheer, creating a festive atmosphere that captivates both locals and visitors alike. Don’t miss the chance to witness this enchanting spectacle and immerse yourself in the joy of the season.
Dates: 15 November – 25 December – 9pm-11pm
Christmas Projections and Decorations in Melbourne 2023
Christmas comes to life around the city with sparkly decorations spreading festive cheer. Visit the Instagram-worthy Giant Reindeer in Docklands, the brand new Christmas Star on Evan Walker Bridge, and the popular Nutcracker soldiers standing guard across the city. Things really start to sparkle at night with twinkling lights in Hardware Lane and an impressive light show over Bourke Street Mall.
Embrace the holiday spirit as the gorgeous golden reindeer makes its triumphant return to Victoria Harbour near Merchant Street, sparkling in all its glory starting from November 25. Explore further to discover additional unmissable decorations scattered throughout Docklands.
Look out for the iconic ‘Merry Christmas’ letters adorning Harbour Esplanade, traditional crackers lining New Quay Promenade and Victoria Harbour Promenade, and giant present boxes spread throughout the entire precinct. The festive decorations add a touch of enchantment to the Docklands, creating a joyful and festive atmosphere for all to enjoy.
When: 12 November – 25 December
Where: State Library, Melbourne Town Hall and Princes Bridge
Christmas Roller Rink 2023
Embark on a delightful journey through the lush greenery of Argyle Square to discover a pop-up roller rink at Piazza Italia. Gather near the big bell swings for your initial snapshots of the night and marvel at the towering Christmas tree. Then, enjoy a tandem spin with your sweetheart to the tunes of classic melodies.
Bookings open on November 24 and are highly recommended for this enchanting experience. Entry is free, and skate hire is just $10! Immerse yourself in the festive atmosphere and make lasting memories as you glide around the roller rink in the heart of the city.
Learn more about the Christmas Roller Rink here.
Santa’s Workshop 2023
Celebrate the festive season at Ho Ho Howey Place, transformed into Santa’s Workshop, a magical Christmas Laneway come to life. Encounter Santa and his elves, and take the opportunity to share your Christmas wish list while capturing a memorable photo. The entire experience is free and available from November 25 to Christmas Eve. Please be aware that during busy periods, there might be a small wait time. Immerse yourself in the joyous atmosphere of Santa’s Workshop for a delightful and memorable holiday experience.
Federation Square Christmas Lights 2023
Embark on a festive journey to Christmas Square at Federation Square and be captivated by the giant 17.5-metre tall LED Christmas tree. As the sun sets, this dazzling structure comes to life with a gorgeous festive glow.
Experience the magic every night from 9 pm as the long-awaited sound and light shows make a grand return to illuminate this sparkling spectacle. Witness the enchanting decorations from November 24 and immerse yourself in the joyous atmosphere of Christmas Square for a truly magical holiday experience.
You can check out:
- Christmas Choirs
- It’s a Wonderful Life Screening
- Festive Workshops
- As Camp as Christmas
- Koorie Krismas
- Christmas in the Wizarding World
- Pillars of Light
- Gravy Day Christmas Choir
- Flinders Street Christmas Projections
Visit Santa’s House, check out City of Melbourne’s 16 m-tall LED Christmas Tree, watch the nightly Christmas Tree Light Shows projections on Flinders Street Station and light show and much much more.
There’s free music performances, Food Truck Friday, a nativity scene, augmented reality experiences, silent disco, outdoor cinema, Christmas markets and more!
Dates: 25 November to 25 December
Click here to find out more
Hidden Laneway Decorations 2023
Get ready to be enchanted as the city’s iconic laneways transform into magical wonderlands during the festival. Degraves Street will dazzle with twinkling streams of Christmas decorations, creating a mesmerizing sea of lights. Enjoy a delightful dining experience under glinting overhead lights in Hardware Lane. Capture the festive spirit with a photo session amidst fairy lights in Manchester Lane and Centre Place.
Explore the festive atmosphere in Bank Place, Crossley Street, Market Lane, Tattersalls Lane, and Liverpool Street, where more holiday magic awaits. Immerse yourself in the glittering decorations, creating a joyful and festive ambiance throughout these iconic laneways. It’s the perfect way to celebrate the season in the heart of the city.
Myer Christmas Windows 2023
While you’re in the Melbourne CBD make sure you check out the Myer Christmas windows, which lights up once again with fantastic decorations and the amazing animatronics of their Christmas spectacular.
When: 6 November to 6 January from 7:30am to 10:30pm
Christmas River Show 2023
Embark on a festive journey to Southbank and treat yourself to a dazzling Christmas river show. Prepare to be captivated by lasers, impressive water fountains, light projections, and a festive soundtrack that will bring the holiday spirit to life.
The shows are set to run every 15 minutes from 9 pm each night throughout the festival. Don’t miss the chance to witness this enchanting display, creating a magical atmosphere along the river and adding an extra touch of joy to your holiday celebrations.
Bourke Street Mall 2023
While en route to the Myer Windows, make sure to pause and marvel at the giant candy canes and adorable koalas. Embracing the spirit of the Aussie festive season, these Christmas decorations are not only festive but also irresistibly cute—perfect for capturing a memorable photo. Take a moment to enjoy these whimsical touches that add a touch of charm to your holiday journey.
QV Tree of Wonder 2023
Look up in awe at Melbourne’s tallest Christmas tree at QV Melbourne, reaching an impressive height of 21.5 meters above the center. Adorned with cute Melbourne touches, including trams, flying footies, and 15,000 twinkling lights, this tree is a festive spectacle not to be missed.
Experience the magic from December 1 to December 31. To enhance the festive atmosphere, enjoy live DJ beats every Saturday and Sunday from 2 pm to 5 pm. Immerse yourself in the holiday spirit and marvel at this iconic Christmas tree in the heart of Melbourne.
Christmas light houses Melbourne 2023
If you want to know where to see the best Christmas light houses in Melbourne or you are looking for the best Christmas lights in the suburban streets of Melbourne, well, we’ve got you covered there too.
Important Notice: These listings are accurate as of the time of publication and may be subject to change. When visiting houses with Christmas lights in Melbourne, please be considerate and respectful. Avoid touching the displays to ensure the enjoyment and safety of all visitors.
Our Favourite Melbourne Christmas Lights
- Rawdon Court, Boronia
- It sounds like an amazing display at 11 Rawdon Court, Boronia! With over 50,000 lights, including moving displays, nativity scenes, inflatables, window displays, laser projections, Christmas statues, and more, it’s sure to be a festive wonderland. The fact that they enhance their displays each year adds to the excitement. Enjoy the dazzling lights until midnight every night throughout the festive period. For the latest updates, be sure to check out their dedicated Rawdon Court Facebook page. It’s bound to be a highlight of the holiday season!
- Endeavour Drive, Cranbourne North
- For a festive spectacle, make your way to 83 Endeavour Drive in Cranbourne North. There, you’ll be treated to a dazzling array of giant inflatables, walk-in displays, laser projections, and more. It sounds like a delightful experience that captures the holiday spirit in a grand and joyful manner. Enjoy the festive decorations and immerse yourself in the magic of the season!
- 63 Grange Road, Sandringham
- Anticipate another epic Christmas lights display at 63 Grande Road in Sandringham! If last year’s showcase was any indication, you’re in for a treat. With Christmas lights synchronized to music, inflatables, window displays, Christmas statues, and more, it promises to be a festive extravaganza. Keep your fingers crossed for a display that dazzles and delights, marking the holiday season in grand style!
- Tennyson Avenue, Preston
- Prepare yourself for some extravagant and festive displays that are sure to lift your holiday spirits. There’s nothing like a street where residents go all out to spread joy and cheer during the holiday season. Enjoy the festive spectacle on Tennyson Ave and let the holiday magic surround you!
- Octavia Court, Burwood
- The tradition of decorating 11 Octavia Court for over 16 years has made it a holiday favorite, and it’s rumored to be one of the must-see streets for Christmas lights in Melbourne for 2023! This festive house is known for its dazzling display featuring lasers, inflatables, a nativity scene, snowmen, LED Christmas trees, artificial snow, Christmas music, and more. Situated in a quiet cul-de-sac, it’s an ideal spot for families with young children to explore and immerse themselves in the magic of the season. Don’t miss the chance to experience this festive wonderland!
- Eames Avenue, Brooklyn
- The Christmas lights at Eames Avenue in Brooklyn sound like a spectacular display that’s worth the visit! Although not confirmed for 2023, in previous years, everyone has been invited to witness the magic at 31 Eames Avenue. The epic walk-in display is said to have featured over 100,000 LED rope lights, fairy lights, icicle lights, Christmas snowing musical street lamps, and much more. It seems like a festive extravaganza that delights visitors with its dazzling lights and holiday charm. Keep an eye out for updates and announcements, and if confirmed, don’t miss the chance to experience the magic at Eames Avenue!
- Cooper Street, Sunshine
- Fantastic news! Christmas is set to shine brightly at numbers 12 and 20 Cooper Street with Walsh’s Christmas Wonderland. For years, this festive tradition has delighted visitors with thousands of lights, inflatables, a village window, a nativity scene, and much more. The fact that it’s officially confirmed for 2023 is cause for celebration – woot woot indeed! Don’t miss the chance to step inside, walk through the gates, and immerse yourself in the magic of Walsh’s Christmas Wonderland. It sounds like a truly enchanting experience!
Our favourite houses with Christmas lights in Melbourne this year are:
Melbourne North Suburbs Christmas lights:
- Pentathlon Drive and Ann Court, Bundoora
- Meldrum Ave, Mill Park
- Morris St, Coburg North
- Wirraway Crescent, Thomastown
- Devon Road, Pascoe Vale
- Brunswick and Brunswick West
- Coburg and Coburg North
Melbourne East Suburbs Christmas lights
- 141 Elevation Boulevard, Craigieburn
- Oakpark Drive, Chadstone
- 60 Hunter Road, Camberwell
- Doncaster East
Melbourne southern suburbs Christmas lights
- Vialls Ave, Parkdale
- Eugenia St, Doveton
- Parkhill Rd, Kew
- Hugo Court, Narre Warren
- Mornington Peninsula
Melbourne western suburbs Christmas lights
- 56 Craig Road, Devon Meadows
Looking for more things to do in Melbourne with kids?
- School holiday activities Melbourne
- Water parks in Melbourne
- Trampoline parks in Melbourne
- Strawberry picking Melbourne options
- Dog friendly beaches and swimming holes in Melbourne
- Camping ideas for Melbourne families
- Camping with dogs around Melbourne
- Things to do in Melbourne with teenagers
- Rainy day activities in Melbourne
- How to get discount Werribee Zoo
- How to get discount Melbourne Zoo tickets
- Day trips from Melbourne with kids
- Great Ocean Road trip with kids
- Best high tea options for kids in Melbourne
- Places where kids eat for FREE in Melbourne
- Best seafood buffets Melbourne
- Best buffets in Melbourne
- Vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne
- Best sushi in Melbourne for kids
- Gluten free restaurants in Melbourne for kids
- Australia Day restaurant options