The most detailed list of the BEST places to start your Christmas lights search to make sure you see all the BEST Christmas lights Melbourne has to offer in 2019.
If you are celebrating Christmas in Melbourne, you’ll love our list of Christmas lights in Melbourne. We’ve made a list and we’ve checked it twice, so you can be sure that this article will give you the detailed information. We also have up to date photos of the best Christmas lights Melbourne has in 2019.
Where to see Christmas lights in Melbourne 2019
Xmas lights looking in Melbourne is a rite of passage for children; from The Boulevard Christmas lights in Ivanhoe, to Christmas in Melbourne City, to Preston, Ferntree Gully and Belmont. We’ve got you covered no matter where your Christmas lights search in Melbourne may take you!
Best Christmas lights Melbourne 2019
Melbourne – North, East, West, South….. our first stop for the Christmas this year will always have to be in Melbourne CBD!
Christmas lights Melbourne City
If you just Googled ‘Best xmas lights Melbourne’ or ‘best Christmas lights Melbourne 2019’ this is the article for you. Across Melbourne City Christmas lights are bedazzling a number of popular locations to add a sparkle to the streets, shopping centres and other venues to help bring a smile to our faces across the festive season.
Christmas Tree Light Shows
Every night of the Christmas Festival, Melbourne’s incredible 16-metre high LED Christmas tree comes to life. Come down to Christmas Square and experience all four spectacular light and sound shows, and soak up the festive atmosphere.
When: 9 – 11pm nightly, Fri 29 Nov – Wed 25 Dec
Where: Christmas Square, Federation Square, Swanston St & Flinders St
Federation Square Christmas lights
Christmas lights at Federation Square are special. There’s always something happening at Federation Square – farmers’ markets, free films, art and craft displays, wine and food exhibitions, live music and at Christmas, there are lights!
Visit Santa’s House, get the ultimate Instagram shot in the Giant Christmas Bauble, check out City of Melbourne’s 16 m-tall LED Christmas Tree, watch the nightly Christmas Tree Light Shows projections and light show and much much more.
Starting November 29 until Wednesday 25 December, Fed Square will be buzzing day and night with Christmas activities.
There’s free music performances, Food Truck Friday, a nativity scene, augmented reality experiences, silent disco, outdoor cinema, Christmas markets and more! Find out more here.
Bourke Street Mall Christmas lights
The Myer Christmas windows are always a favourite (this year they are based around the Gumnuts Babies from May Gibbs) but there are other festive lights and decorations to enjoy in Bourke Street Mall. The old GPO building (now the home of H&M) is bedecked with nutcrackers and wreaths, while at night it’s lit up. The mall also has a net of stars over the tramlines and often a raft of buskers playing carols.
Melbourne Town Hall
Melbourne – you’re a gift. So it is only fitting that the Town Hall should join the celebrations this Christmas in Melbourne City. Our beautiful Town Hall has wrapped itself up like a big, stone present. The Swanston Street-facing side of the building has a giant bow wrapped around it, as well as big wreaths and nutcrackers.
The Town Hall is also where you can find Santa’s House and snap a photo with the jolly man himself. He welcomes one and all every day, 10am-12pm and 1-3pm daily, plus 4-7pm Thursday and Friday.
Christmas projections in Melbourne City
The city’s beloved Christmas projections are back. Start at State Library Victoria with this year’s feature show, a very Melbourne Night Before Christmas, written by Marieke Hardy and narrated by Lee Lin Chin. Then, wander onwards to see the epic static Christmas projections on the Melbourne Town Hall and, for the first time, Princes Bridge.
When: 9 – 10:45pm nightly, Fri 29 Nov – Wed 25 Dec
Where: State Library, Melbourne Town Hall and Princes Bridge
Crown Christmas Light Show
While you’re in the Melbourne CBD make sure you check out the Crown’s Atrium, which lights up once again with fantastic decorations and the amazing animatronics of their Christmas spectacular.
When: Every day from 10am to 12am.
The show runs every half hour for 10 minutes and is located in the Crown Atrium near Crown Towers.
Free Santa photos at the Crown in Melbourne
Christmas lights up at Crown with free Santa photos daily in The Atrium, Crown Towers. Find Santa during the following times:
- 12pm – 12.45pm
- 1.05pm – 1.50pm
- 2.10pm – 2.55pm
- 3pm – 3.45pm
- 4.05pm – 4.50pm
Christmas light houses Melbourne
If you want to know where to see the best Christmas light houses in Melbourne or you are looking for the best Christmas lights in the suburban streets of Melbourne, well, we’ve got you covered there too.
Melbourne North Christmas Lights
- PLEASE NOTE – NOT SHOWING CHRISTMAS LIGHTS IN 2019: 47 Gordon Grove, Preston will NOT have Christmas lights this year.
The Boulevard Ivanhoe Christmas lights
Perhaps the most popular Christmas lights street in Melbourne is the Boulevard lights in Ivanhoe.
The Boulevard in Ivanhoe East puts on one of Melbourne’s biggest and brightest Christmas lights displays. Since the 1950s, the boulevard Christmas lights have drawn crowds admiring the best Christmas lights in Melbourne.
For over 80 years the residents of Ivanhoe Christmas lights street have decorated their houses, gardens and windows with illuminating displays of Xmas lights, nativity scenes and everything Christmas. And every year, neighbours seem to go to even greater lengths to dazzle onlookers and put on a spectacular show, often with accompanying music.
There is even food on offer and performances from local musical acts!
The Boulevard Christmas Lights address
Ivanhoe, Victoria, 3079
The 2019 Ivanhoe Christmas Lights will run from Saturday 14th – Tuesday 24th December 2019 from 8:30 pm to 11 pm.
Thomastown Christmas lights
Within the Boulevard Christmas lights, special mention must be made of Thomastown Christmas lights. The Filippini Family have been putting up this amazing Christmas display for the community to see for 22 years! The family are also raising money for the Heart Foundation and since 2004 and collected over $50,000.00! The lights are on from 29th November until the 27th of December every year.
- Monday – Thursday 8.00pm – 10.30pm
- Friday – Sunday 8.00pm -11.30pm
Address of Thomastown Christmas Lights
118 The Boulevard, Ivanhoe, Victoria 3079.
Find out more on their Facebook page.
Melbourne East Suburbs Christmas Lights
Boroondra Christmas lights
- Hunter Road, Camberwell – #60 Hunter Road brings in quite the crowd every year, and is definitely worth a visit if you’re around the Camberwell area. Also, this year the family will be raising money for the Starlight Children’s Foundation via a donation box out the front. Give generously to help those in need this Christmas.
- Coleman Avenue, Kew East (Donations accepted!)
- Tuppets Lights, Parkhill Road, Kew
- 997 Toorak Road, Camberwell
- Camberwell Library, Camberwell
- Ashwood Drive, Ashwood
Cardinia Christmas lights
- Brookvale Close, Beaconsfield
- 1 Victoria Place, Pakenham
- Murchison Link, Pakenham
- Vaughn Crt, Pakenham
- 76 Bluehills Boulevard, Pakenham
- Denton Drive, Officer
- Emerald/Monbulk Rd, Emerald
Casey Christmas lights
- Angel Close, Narre Warren
- Song Street, Narre Warren
- Hugo Court, Narre Warren – most of the houses in the court get on board to spread some Christmas cheer. It’s definitely one not to miss if you’re in the east.
- 29 Peebles Street, Endeavour Hills
For more great places head to Cardina and Casey’s Christmas Lights and Carols Facebook page!
Knox Christmas lights
- Cherrington Square, Wantirna
- 25 Calder Way Wantirna South
- Chestnut Avenue, Ferntree Gully
- Mayfield Place, Rowville
- Deschamp Court, Rowville
- Whithers Road, Bayswater
- 7 Carramar Court, Bayswater
- Dixon Court, Boronia
- 35 Hutton Ave Ferntree Gully
- Dorset Road, Boronia (near Holloway Drive)
Manningham Christmas lights
- 10 Pushkin Court, East Doncaster
- Cherry Tree Ct, Doncaster East
- 96 Pine Hill Drive, Doncaster East
- 132 Andersons Creek Road, Doncaster East
- 9 Edwin Road, Templestowe
- 29 Darvall Street, Donvale – Inflatables and over 10,000 lights!
City of Yarra Christmas lights
- still to come**
Maroondah Christmas lights
- Croydon Hills Drive, Croydon Hills
- Mulgrave Way, Croydon North
- White Avenue, Bayswater North
- Alexandra Road, Ringwood East
- Arlington Street, Ringwood
- Canterbury Court, Ringwood East
- Marcus Road Croydon
- 41 Longview Rd Croydon South
- Chandra Avenue Kilsyth South
- 11 Scenic Avenue, Ringwood East
- 36 Alexandra Road, Ringwood East
- 13 Kitson Street, Ringwood
- 9 Kempston Court Croydon North
- 4 Gem Close Ringwood
Monash Christmas lights
- 10 Joyce Avenue, Glen Waverley
- 16 Richardson Street, Hughesdale
- 11 Lebanon Crescent, Mulgrave – a trip to Lebanon Crescent will put you in front of more than 100,000 lights at #11. Check out the Polar Express as it makes its way around the track. Just a short walk to Wattle Grove will land you at #41 who have been at the Christmas light caper for more than 30 years.
- 41 Wattle Grove, Mulgrave
- 32 Windella Cres Glen Waverley
- Fellows Street, Mitcham
- Fellows Street, Mitcham
Whitehorse Christmas lights
- Fellows Street, Mitcham
- Shawlands Ave, Blackburn South
- Chelsea Mews, Mont Albert Nth
- Werder Street, Box Hill North
- Pope Road, Blackburn
- Orchard Grove, Blackburn South
- Zander Ave, Nunawading
- 29 Kett Street, Nunawading
- Clydesdale St, Box Hill
- Monash street, Box Hill South
- Empress Road, Surrey Hills
- 16 Harcourt Street, Blackburn North
- 2 Hibiscus Road, Blackburn North
- 25 Peter Ave, Blackburn North
- Southey St, Blackburn North
- David Street, Lilydale
- David Street, Lilydale
- 12 Cornish Road, Burwood East
Yarra Ranges Christmas lights
- LMC Christmas Sound and Light Show, Old Melbourne Road, Chirnside Park
- 36 Parkvalley Drive, Chirnside Park
- Hansford Close, Kilsyth
- Esther Cres, Mooroolbark
- Natalie Court, Yarra Glen
- Miriam Drive, Yarra Glen
- Keelah St, Woori Yallock
- Lakeview Drive and surrounding streets, Lilydale
- Hordern Road, Mt Evelyn
- Britton Road, Seville
- 3 Tarhilla Drive, Launching Place
- Keelah Street, Woori Yallock
- Glenwright Ave, Woori Yallock
- Ommonia Road Healesville
- Corner Aintree/Marlow Street, Mooroolbark
- Selina Avenue Mooroolbark
- Belinda Close, Kilsyth
- David Road, Lilydale
- Landstrom Quadrant, Kilsyth
Greater Dandenong Christmas lights
- 25 Clarendon drive Keysborough
- Falls Road Mount Dandenong
- Christmas lights in Seville, Warburton Highway midway between Wandin and Seville (on top of the hill).
- ‘Lights On’ 858 Mount Dandenong Road, Montrose
For more Yarra Ranges Lights head to the Yarra Valley Christmas Lights Facebook Page!
Melbourne Southern Suburbs Christmas Lights
Melbourne Bayside suburbs Christmas lights
- 151 Dalgetty Road, Beaumaris
- 20 Love Street, Black Rock
- 2 Lance Close, Aspendale Gardens
- 5 Dunsterville Street, Sandringham
- 3 Dalmont Street, Highett
- Vialls Avenue, Parkdale – Venture down around the bay to Parkdale and you won’t be disappointed. The amount of houses getting involved on Vialls Avenue grows every year. It’s also worth skipping a couple of blocks over to Cedric Street and check out the seven houses on show.
- 29 Enterprize Avenue, Chelsea
- 9 French Avenue, Edithvale – Santa visit and music on Christmas Eve.
Glen Eira Christmas lights
- 13 Chloris Crescent, Caulfield
- 46 Briggs st, Caulfield
Kingston Christmas lights
- 436 South Road, Moorabbin
- 29 Enterprize Avenue, Chelsea Heights
Stonnington Christmas lights
- Fountaine Avenue, Malvern East
Frankston Christmas lights
- 257 and 304 Heatherhill Rd
- George st
- 2 Oleosa crt
- 3 Elenya court
- Dunsterville crescent
- 564 Nepean Highway
- 2 Savannah Court
- Lilac court
- Grevillea Road, Langwarrin
- 1 and 7 Lulworth Place
- 18 Manor Drive, Frankston South
You may like to join the Christmas lights Facebook page for Frankston – click here.
Melbourne Western Suburbs Christmas Lights
- Crana Court, Hoppers Crossing – One of the OG Christmas light displays in Melbourne. This one’s been going strong for more than 20 years, get yourself west side and check it out.
- Bellbridge Drive, Hoppers Crossing – It appears Hoppers is an absolute Christmas mecca for lights, check out #169 and #144 where the light displays have a little something for everyone.
Further afield for Christmas for the best lights?
Try these Christmas lights displays…
Mornington Peninsula Christmas lights
- 6 Tennis Court, Mornington – The lights at #6 are switched on from 8:30 – 10:30pm, and they invested in a ton of new lights (72 new boxes of LED lights) for Christmas this year.
- 121 Eramosa Road East, Somerville
- 42 Bungower Road, Mornington
- 64-66 Claremont St, Mt Eliza
- 157 Woolleys Road, Bittern
Looking for places to eat in Melbourne city – we’ve got a list of the best places to take kids to eat on New Year’s Eve here.