Are you looking for the best information about taking kids to experience Anzac Day services in Sydney? Our article will give you all the details to ensure you mark this special day with your family. If you’ve just searched ‘ANZAC Day services near me’, or ‘dawn services near me’, this article is the place to be.
Home to an abundance of dawn services and Anzac Day marches Sydney, NSW offers plenty of opportunities for the city’s community to pay their respects to the first Anzacs, as well as the past and present individuals serving in the Australian Defence Force.
Our article will give you information about:
- The Official Anzac Day Sydney Dawn Service
- The Anzac Day Parade in Sydney
- The Anzac Day Sydney City Commemoration Service
- The Anzac Day Sydney City Sunset Service
- Suburban Anzac Day ceremonies across Sydney
Spanning across the city, there’s a commemoration to suit families from any suburb.
Here are a few places to commemorate Anzac Day in Sydney, whether it’s in the heart of the city, among the surrounding suburbs, during the earlier hours of the morning or as the sun sets over the city.
Anzac Day dawn service Sydney city 2023
The Anzac Day Sydney commemorations commence at 4:20 am with the official state dawn service at the Cenotaph of Martin Place. After the Catafalque Party and Band March at 4:20, the ceremony begins and runs through to 9 am.
TL:DR – Useful ANZAC Day Sydney city information
- Dawn Service, Cenotaph Martin Place 04:20
- Anzac Day March along Elizabeth St 09:00
- Commemorative Service, Anzac Memorial Hyde Park 12:30
- Sunset Service, Cenotaph Martin Place 17:00
Anzac Day parade in Sydney 2023
Following the dawn service is Sydney’s Anzac Day Parade (Sydney’s Anzac Day march), the parade will be starting from the intersection of Martin Place and Elizabeth Street, progressing alongside North and South Hyde Park, and finishing on Liverpool Street. During the march, participants also see the Act of Remembrance as the Anzac Memorial is passed in Hyde Park. Those who’ve served in the Australian Defence Force are welcome to march. The parade begins at 9 am and finishes at 1 pm.
Best places to see the Anzac Parade in Sydney 2023
As veterans, relatives, and current members of the Australian Defence Force march down a 1 kilometre stretch on Elizabeth Street, visitors are gifted with plenty of worthy vantage points to admire the parade. Many Sydney patrons gather on the side-walk of Elizabeth Street and are delivered with perfect, up-close sights of the march. That being said, this area is very popular and can crowd easily. If you’re hoping to enjoy the march from Elizabeth Street, take the time to walk along the stretch to uncover a vacant spot. Otherwise, it may be a good idea to arrive during the earlier hours of the morning.
The Anzac Day March in Sydney is also broadcasted on the ABC and is available online until mid-July. If you’re unable to attend the march in person, watching on the television or online may be the next best option.
Anzac Day road closures 2023
Anzac Day participants and spectators are encouraged to plan ahead, leave the car at home and catch public transport. If you do intend to drive on the day, please note that the Anzac Day Dawn Service and Anzac Day March in Sydney will cause a number of road closures throughout the city from 2 am to 4 pm. This will cause a reduced amount of street parking options. You can find the ANZAC Day road closure map for 2023 here.
If you do intend to use public transport, please note that buses travelling in and out of the city will be available from 3 am and 4 am and a taxi rank will be offered on Wentworth Avenue. Travel on public transport is free for veterans and their families on Tuesday 25 April 2023.
Anzac Day city CBD commemoration service 2023
The Anzac Day Commemoration Service of Sydney is located at the Hyde Park Anzac Memorial, which can be found near the reflective pools. The event is typically attended by community members and invited guests, along with the Governor of NSW, Premier of NSW, and more.
Attending this service can be an ideal alternative for families with younger children still eager to pay their respect on Anzac Day. The service runs from 12:30pm to 1:30pm Attending can also offer the kids an appropriate insight into this day of remembrance. As the service begins as the Anzac Day March Sydney finishes, these two events can effortlessly be coupled together.
Anzac Day | Sydney city sunset service 2023
Finally, the official commemorations close with the Anzac Day Sunset Service, also taking place at Martin Place’s Cenotaph. The service is much shorter, running from 5 pm to 5:30 pm, and includes the lowering of the flags
Sydney city summary of activities 2023
- Anzac Day Dawn Service Sydney: 4:20 am at the Cenotaph of Martin Place.
- Anzac Day March Sydney: 9 am from Martin Place, progressing on Elizabeth Street, and to Liverpool Street.
- Anzac Day Commemoration Service Sydney: at 12:30 pm at the Anzac Memorial of Hyde Park.
- Anzac Day Sunset Service Sydney: 5 pm at the Cenotaph of Martin Place
If you are looking for a place to stay while in Sydney near the city, check out our review of the Holiday Inn at Potts Point.
Anzac Day services and marches in Sydney suburbs 2023
Anzac Day Bondi Junction 2023
- Time: 7:45 am
- Address: Waverley Park Bondi Road, Waverley NSW, Australia
Anzac Day Burwood 2023
Service/ Main Service Burwood:
- Time: 6:30 am
- Address: Burwood War Memorial Arch, Burwood Park, Park St and Burwood Road corner.
Anzac Day March Burwood
- Time: 6:10 am
- Address: Woodstock Park, Church Street
Breakfast: Complimentary breakfast is available after the service at the Club Burwood RSL
Anzac Day Coogee 2023
Dawn Service Coogee
- Time: 5am
- Address: Goldstein Reserve Coogee, 175-249R Arden St, Coogee
This year, the Bondi Brass, 3 professional singers, and 60 members of the South Coogee Primary School Choir will be present as entertainment. Family orientated food outlets will be available for breakfast.
Anzac Day Cronulla 2023
Dawn Service Cronulla:
- Time: 5:30 am
- Address: Monro Park War Memorial, Cronulla.
Anzac Day March Cronulla:
- Time: 5:15 am
- Address: Cronulla RSL Memorial Club, 38 Gerrale Street, Cronulla.
Anzac Day Epping 2023
Dawn Service Epping:
- Time: 6 am
- Address: Cenotaph Park: Forest Park Epping.
Anzac Day Forestville 2023
Dawn Service Forestville:
- Time: 5:35 am
- Address: Forestville RSL Club, 22 Melwood Avenue, Forestville
Anzac Day Hurlstone Park 2023
Dawn Service Hurlstone Park:
- Time: 5:30 am
- Address: Bert Crook Memorial, Canterbury-Hurlstone Park RSL, 20-26 Canterbury Road, Hurlstone Park.
Breakfast: A complimentary gunfire breakfast is on offer at the Canterbury-Hurlstone Park RSL.
Anzac Day Jindabyne
Dawn Service Jindabyne
- Time: To be confirmed
- Address: Banjo Paterson Park
Anzac Day Main Service Jindabyne:
- Time: To be confirmed
- Address: Old Town Centre Car Park.
Anzac Day Kingsgrove 2023
Anzac Day March Kingsgrove
- Time: 7 am
- Address: Kingsgrove Road and Shaw Street, Kingsgrove
Anzac Day Main Service Kingsgrove:
- Time: The service will be at the completion of the 7 am march.
- Address: Kingsgrove Memorial Reserve
Anzac Day North Bondi 2023
Dawn Service North Bondi:
- Time: 6 am
- Address: North Bondi RSL, 118/120 Ramsgate Avenue, North Bondi.
Anzac Day Paddington
Anzac Day Main Service Paddington:
- Time: 11 am, Sunday 23 April
- Address: Victoria Barracks, 10 Oxford St, Paddington NSW
Anzac Day Petersham
Dawn Service Petersham:
- Time: To be confirmed
- Address: Petersham Town Hall, 107 Crystal Street, Petersham.
Breakfast: A complimentary breakfast is available after the dawn service at the Petersham RSL Club.
Anzac Day St Mary’s
Dawn Service St Marys:
- Time: 5 am
- Address: St Marys Diggers Club, Cnr Hall Street &, Mamre Rd, St Marys NSW 2760
ANZAC Day services Sydney
There you have it! We hope our article has helped you find the nearest ANZAC Day Dawn Service Sydney, or ANZAC Day March to you. If you think we’ve missed somewhere, let us know! We are always looking to improve!
Looking for more things to do in Sydney with kids?
- School holiday activities in Sydney
- Water parks in Sydney for kids
- Best trampoline park discounts in Sydney
- Darling Harbour review
- Wildlife Sydney Zoo review
- Sealife Sydney Aquarium review
- Sydney rainy day activities for kids
- Things to do with teenagers in Sydney
- Best camping options in Sydney with kids
- Day trips from Sydney with kids
- Strawberry picking with kids in Sydney
- Dog friendly beaches and swimming holes in Sydney
- Sydney to Brisbane road trip with kids
- Sydney to Byron road trip with kids
- Kid friendly pubs in Sydney
- Places where kids eat free in Sydney
- Best places to have a high tea with kids in Sydney
- Best Buffets in Sydney with kids
- Seafood buffets in Sydney suitable for kids
- Best gluten free restaurants suitable for kids in Sydney
- Sushi trains in Sydney that kids love
- Vietnamese restaurants in Sydney
- Pancakes on the Rocks review
- Captain Cook high tea review
Celebrating with kids in Sydney?
- Birthday party venues in Sydney for kids
- Christmas lunch options for families
- The best Christmas lights in Sydney
- Christmas markets in Sydney
- Best places to eat on Australia Day with kids
- Celebrating Australia Day in Sydney
More great articles in New South Wales
If you are looking for more things to do with kids in New South Wales click here.